Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Why is everyone so family focussed?

Why does society forget those that are estranged from family or rarely see them at christmas?

Not all of us play happy families, some are alone at xmas

Update:

Sometimes we dont fit with our familiies, they live far away or we are not accepted “cogito”

Why so nasty??

Update 2:

Not all of us can have caring siblings as adults

Update 3:

Hate is reported

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

youre not the only one, i get stuck alone at christmas too

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

People with families tend to be family focused and those without tend to spend their holidays with friends. Just because the ones with families enjoy that condition doesn't mean they're trying to be cruel to those without. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

We're in the middle of a pandemic.  Why wouldn't people gravitate towards their families?

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's unreasonable to expect that those who DO enjoy good relationships with family are going to dampen that enjoyment so as to coddle your own lack of that enjoyment in your life. You're free to do whatever you wish during those periods when people with strong family bonds and enjoying family time. Be satisfied with that; it's unreasonable to expect more. 

If you want to be with people on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, etc, it's not that hard to find gatherings for "no family around" people like yourself. And of course gatherings are to be avoided while Covid is spreading. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

From birth, it's just the way it is to have a holiday with your family. Unless you're in an institution for whatever reason, you don't have a say in it for the greater part of your first few decades of life. Not going to a holiday party with family becomes a taboo. It's just the way it is that we don't kill and rape or eat people. It would be just as much a mental hurdle to break any of those taboos for most people, until they do.

The people who feel the need to remedy their own discomfort with your breaking of a taboo tend to be more vocal than those who are at peace with or else prefer not seeing family. Some people hate their relatives, some people hate parties, some people's families are all dead or far away. And like I said, once you break a taboo, it's not that weird anymore.

I personally don't miss waiting to eat for my dad to get out of bed, smelling like **** in his ****-stained underpants while angrily slamming his fist on the table and yelling about something, anything. That's holidays for me and alot of people.

• 2 months ago

Society doesn't forget them, but doesn't coddle them either.  Each needs to take care of themselves.  If family is important to them they can create one of their own with friends.  If not they can just complain.

• 2 months ago

Friends became my family for decades.

I had to let go of those family expectations and make my own family

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

"Why is everyone so family focussed?"

Obviously everyone isn't.   You said it yourself.  Not everyone plays happy families.   So your statement is false.

But for people who do value their relationships with their families, why are you so ticked off about that? 

You do your thing.  Others will do their thing.

Your life is what you make of it.  It sounds like you aren't too happy with yours.   I'm sorry about that, but there is no reason you should begrudge others who have been able to forge valued relationships with others whether they are relatives, friends or whatever. 

If you want to be cared for and thought of at the holidays, then maybe you should change your life/attitude the other 360 days of the year. 

...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. 

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It the current times, governments are trying to support people who DO want to spend Xmas with their families.

If you're not in touch with yours, you obviously don't need their support to be with them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.