Why does my speech slow down when listening to classical music?

I noticed something really strange about the way how I talk when I'm listening to classical music, specifically Beethoven's solo piano sonatas. I noticed that my speech actually slows down and when I turn off the music, my speech increases by 2x the speed. Why?

• Tony B

If you were listening to any kind of music you wouldn't be talking.

Music has a tremendous effect on mood and listening to classical music, especially the Classical period (Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven) may have a calming effect similar to meditation. When I was younger I accidentally discovered that listening to Mozart's symphonies for 15 minutes without doing anything else helped my concentration before the exams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTc1mDieQI8

Youtube thumbnail

What happens when music is on is not so surprising. Have you asked yourself why are you so "fast" when music is off?

• Jake

A person can make better musical decisions by way of having true devotion to St. Cecilia, who is the patron saint of musicians and was a virgin-martyr for Christ in the early Catholic Church.  Her husband and she lived in celibacy and her husband became a martyr for Christ as well.