Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Hi! When I get a new car, can I keep the same license plate from my old car? ?

Depends on where you try to drive the car.

• RICK

Some states let you other states don't

In some states plates belong to the car in others they belong to the person .

I don't know if you will.  Usually you can.

Hi back to you!

Depends on where.  In some states, you can; in some, you can't.

• May

You "can" if you are able.  You "may" if the law allows it in your unnamed mysterious location.

This depends on the place you live. In California the plate stays with the car. In some states the plate is actually owned by the state and has to be turned in unless you want to pay taxes on it. There are states where the plate can be transferred to a replacement car.

So check with the local government.

That really is a jurisdiction based question. In the UK, possibly and there would be a fee. Just ask the DVLA.

Yes, when you pay a transfer fee. Prior to that you could get a ticket.  But, since taxes are based on the cars value, a more expensive car will mean higher taxes that must be paid then for the remainder of the months remaining on the tag. (If its just 2 months it won't be as high as if its 10 months)  Do not give anybody else your old tags.