Can my landlord raise my rent in Calif. since it's been two years since he has?

He told me he didn't raise it this year because of covid 19, but he told me he will be raising after the 1st of the year. Can he raise it more now since he didn't raise it last year? There's rent control now, so can he do this?

• ?

Not raising it last year has nothing to do with it & does not change his right to serve an increase next year. Rent control does NOT stop increases. Rent control regulates rent increases.  As long as he followed all local laws then he did nothing wrong & there is nothing you can do about it. 

• G R

Of coarse the landlord can raise the rent.  They can raise it every year if they wanted to, even with rent control.

• Maxi

Of course he can

Yes, he can raise it, more - of course.   Nobody raises rent less.  Think about it.

He can raise it the limit of the rent control.  Not double because he skipped a year.

So long as he follows the rent control law and your lease is up, yes he can raise the rent. I looked up the state law for California and the max he can raise it is 5% plus the local rate of inflation (you'll have to google the local rate of inflation wherever you are in Calif).

I lived in an apartment for 10 years. Rent went up EVERY year. Funny thing happened when I bought my house.  Rented ended. I paid cash.

Should have bought sooner even if I had to finance.

your reasoning makes no sense, not raising rent 1 year does not stop a landlord from raising the rent the following year.  he still can only raise it within the limit of the law.

Covid 19 rent increase freezes expired 10/21/2020 in California.

With the recent rent increase limitations, there is a formula on how much rent can be increased.  In most areas, it's about 10% each year.  If the rent increase is under that amount, it is allowed.