ugly asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

It’s it ok to be a proud German ?

Well, I think it's okay to be proud of one's country if it has something to be proud of, which I think Germany has. To be proud of being a German is a little more questionable, since being born in a particular country is mostly something that we had nothing to do with. This is the opinion of a native of the USA.

• Zac Z

I'm German and my personal view (which isn't necessarily representative of Germans in general) is that it doesn't make much sense to be proud of one's nationality*, be it German or any other.

The reason I'm having this view is that I think it makes sense to be proud of achievements. For example, one can be proud to have mastered an exam, or graduated with good grades, or having met one's goal of reading 100 books a year. But it's not an achievement to be German, or American, or French, or Chinese, or Iranian.

I'm German and I did fuсk all to be German. I'm German because my parents are both Germans. It's not an achievement.

The only exception in this regard is naturalized citizens for whom it actually IS an achievement to have become a citizen of their new country. If it makes sense for anybody to be proud of their citizenship, it is them.

While I don't feel proud to be German, I think I am lucky to be German. Having been born to German parents in Germany (albeit to an economically modest family) makes me privileged. Germany is a good country to live in (or be a citizen of) in many respects. Over here, hardly anybody needs to be worried about the immediate survival of themselves or their family.

The economic floor is still incredibly high compared to some less privileged countries. (I've been working as a humanitarian aid worker and am therefore aware that most "problems" that people have in Germany ARE first-world problems and there are countless people who would be happy to swap because the problems they have are real problems.)

Germany is generally a very safe country where you don't have to fear for your life.

We have a good health system; if folks get sick here, they will be worried about their health, not whether they'll be able to afford treatment and/or whether their illness will financially ruin their family.

It's a quite clean country, which is not only nice because you're living in a clean place with an intact nature to enjoy, it also provides for healthy conditions. (As an example, I never buy water in the supermarket here. I prefer still water and I simply drink the tab water. It's good quality, readily available, doesn't cause waste in the form of used bottles and is so so much cheaper than the still water I'd buy in the supermarket. I always have to adjust when I'm in countries where the tap water is not good for drinking. For example, during an assignment in Myanmar, we had to get water from the supermarket because the water in our house had too high a level of certain unhealthy metals, lead or something. You don't have to worry about this here.)

On top of all that, being a member of the EU adds several so-called freedoms, for example the freedom of movement which allows me to live and work in any EU member state. This bit, obviously, is not exclusive to Germans.

Now, Germany isn't perfect but there are many places that are much worse for living.

Personally, I have an issue with our climate - too cold for my taste but that's a personal preference.

So, I feel lucky to be German but I don't think that I have any reason to be proud of having that passport.

Does that make sense?

* If that is what you are asking about. Your phrasing, taken literally, would just mean that a German person is proud of something, whatever that is.

ETA @Zirp: Yahoo!Clever has gone down the tubes quite a while ago. It's virtually dead and the few people left there are mostly far right-wing trolls.

No... it s a 💩💩💩💩

Yes, there are so many positive things about Germany today, and in the past. You kept the Roman Empire back, you developed a wonderful high culture, and were once known of as:  'Das Land der Dichter und Denker'.

Most countries have bad periods in their history as well as good; focus on the good and remember the lessons of the past.

• Zirp

It can be, but if you were you would be asking this on yahoo!clever, in German

• Sky

Yes, of course.  It's a beautiful country with wonderful people.  It has a very dark past of course, but just about every country has something in its past that people can regret without being ashamed of their nationality.