HNB asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

should i baste the turkey every 30-45 minutes when i cover the breast with foil cooking it at 350 degrees in the oven? ?

How can I keep all the skin evenly brown color?

• Goerge
    Favorite Answer

Rinse and pat it dry and then let it sit out for another hour. Right before it goes into the 450f oven I like to pat it down one more time and then rub some clarified butter(seasoned) under the skin and on top of the skin. Give the breasts a massage with a healthy amount of butter until they are thoroughly coated. Fat is hydrophobic so it helps with browning. After that, carefully slide your hand underneath the skin of each breast, starting at the cavity side, but NOT IN THE MIDDLE of them(aka the sternum).  Gently coax your under as far back as you can without tearing the skin. Push about 3 tablespoons of butter under the skin, evenly covering each breast. The butter helps the flavor and browning. Stuff the bird or not, set the bird on a rack in a roasting pan and put it into a 450f preheated oven and drop that down to 350 immediately. 

Basting isn't necessary and that extra moisture could prevent browning and the bird's already brined so it's going to be moist as long as it isn't overcooked. Basting the turkey every 30 minutes also lets out a lot of heat which I like to avoid. I don't tent the turkey with foil until it's browned to my liking. The wings, tucked behind themselves may need to be covered first. Others cover it as soon as it goes in the oven.