Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

If a cup of water were to spill on to tiled flooring, would it soak past the tiles, and cause mold growth?

Not unless the tile is cracked or the grout is cracked. 

Maybe..........

Sometimes, but not usually--what it DOES cause is staining, wet wood that may rot and loosening of the tiles. Mold would be less likely unless it was never dried out at all. Grout should be sealed so water doesn't penetrate. 

It could if it was wet for a long time. That is why grout needs to be sealed with a clear sealant. 

Please don't remind me what happened to my bathroom in my house of orientation (the one in which I grew up).  

It was a full bath with shower, tub, tiled floor, and no shower curtain.  Very innocently, by myself, I would stand, rinse, and walk on the floor.  Slowly but surely, the floor began to feel "squishy", like it was not solid anymore, which felt weird.  My parents if they noticed said nothing.  Finally, when it was too obvious, we had to redo the floor, and I can still remember the contractor tearing out mildew, rotten foundation wood supporting the bathroom floor, and seeing mother earth below.  

I am far more careful about floor water below, especially passing through cracks.  

No that is not enough to cause any problems 

• Barry

No. Most of it would evaporate if it wasn't mopped up. The tile grout is normally waterproof too.

• ?

Probably not.  An incidental spill, even one of modest volume like a full cup of water, 8 oz/240ml, won't cause much damage if any.  Mold growth requires a persistent presence of moisture to become an issue.  A one-time spill isn't going to provide that.  The moisture will evaporate off the surface too quickly; what vanishingly small amount of moisture manages to get through the grout will wick away and dissipate before mold can get a foothold.

no.  one cup once isn't near enough moisture for mold.  -- grampa

• gerald

No not normally the surface is waterproof material the tiles and grout are waterproof , it would evaporate a large amount would have some effect though or a constant wetting like a leak