What's your favorite Slayer album?

I haven't listen to that much of their music, so I don't have a favorite.

• polly

I'm not sure how worthy my opinion is because I only own Reign in blood & South of Heaven but I felt like South of Heaven wasn't as good as reign in blood.

SHOW NO MERCY!!!!!!!

Well, 'Seasons' is probably the best to just listen to on repeat, but 'War at the Warfield' is my favorite thing by them. They sound fantastic on that DVD. 

Seasons in the abyss or hell awaits.

I also like the one with the priest on the cover.

• Andrew

Definitely "Show No Mercy." Great riffs, great songs, great energy. While their songwriting abilities and technical prowess would improve making their later material more intricate and complex, "Show No Mercy" is a fantastic debut - not only one of the best thrash metal albums of all time, but easily one of the best heavy metal albums of all time. There's not a weak song on the record - they're all classics. "Show No Mercy" introduced Slayer to the world and set a new standard. 1983 was a phenomenal year for metal, and "Show No Mercy" is a big part of that. 

Better riffs than Metallica's "Kill 'Em All", better songs than Exodus' "Bonded By Blood", Slayer delivered a record that's managed to stand the test of time and any metal band today worth its salt would trade their souls in exchange for having a record half as good to their name. 

I know everyone always raves about "Reign in Blood", but it just doesn't have the gritty charm the debut does. And while "Seasons in the Abyss" is a much more accomplished record, there's still a bit of filler to be found there. 

If you want to consider the "Haunting the Chapel" EP as the missing third of the "Hell Awaits" album (during the classic era of the band every record had 10 songs except for "Hell Awaits"), I'd rank "Hell Awaits" second best. 

For me it'd be:

#1: "Show No Mercy"

#2: "Hell Awaits"/"Haunting the Chapel"

#3: "Seasons in the Abyss"

#4: "Reign in Blood"

#5: "South of Heaven"

Endless Flight 1976