Anonymous

Why are a lot of african American social workers ignorant in regards to knowing about the spectrum of autism?

I'm high functioning autism to the point where many of my social workers have said they were surprised that I could even be classes on the spectrum at all.

I take offense to this because they come as very rude and if ignorant us it seems they are hinting at the fact that I'm milking social security for free money.

Am I right in feeling this toward them and has anyone else had similar experience when dealing with black social workers?

After reading your garbled English, they are incorrect.  You're "high functioning autism?"  They were surprised that you "could even be classes on the spectrum"?  What?  Yes, we black social workers don't understand autism.  We are all against you.

Can you send them packing? If they are rude you shouldn’t put up with them,I fired my last caseworker for incompetence. I will not get into the race thing with you, I believe every race have people that are bad and people that are good. For instance the incompetent caseworker I fired is white. I think that in your case you are encountering employees who are in that line of work for the wrong reasons.

in my area, social services programs are very abusive to all people with disabilities.  they seem to only want to help minority single mothers who keep having kids they can't support with deadbeat fathers.

Are you talking about the United States social security program?  if you are fully high functioning and not mixed functioning with specific severe symptoms, you would not qualify for SSDI or SSI.

Social Security are not social workers.

What is the actual role of these social workers?  case management?  vocational assistance?  counseling?

social services is an affirmative action job meaning they hire ethnic minorities over white people.

I have known people who worked in social services and couldn't put up with the abuses from the non white employees who acted uncivilized.

many of these positions require a 4 year college degree and comfortably pay enough to afford a 1 bedroom apartment....and a family with a spouse with works.  These aren't poverty level minimum wage jobs like many direct caregiver jobs.

If you are high functioning as you say, you likely are milking the system. High functioning autism is not a severe disability.  Social workers is lower paying positions are more likely to be Black or another minority due to a variety of reasons (lack of upward mobility among them). I suggest you examine your own racism and privilege before posting again.