Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Why should you correct me on the pronunciation of your dumb name?

Especially if I'll never see you again

I'm not sure what a "dumb" name is. But as to a person's name, it seems to me to be only a matter of courtesy to tell someone how to pronounce one's name if it's being mispronounced. 

It may just be a habit; why not?  If you never see me again, it's not a big deal for either of us.

• Zac Z

Praise the Lord that you don't have a dumb name like all those other dumb people you meet with dumb names, right?

• Dick

I don't like you, I don't want to see you again. Beyond telling you that's not my name, I'm not saying any more to you at all. Go away  !!!

Because it is the right thing to do, particularly if you are gratuitously arrogant bore.

So if your name were "AhSOLE"  you'd let people call you "AHsole"?

It sends chills down some people's spine when they hear their name being mispronounced. You acknowledge their identity when you properly pronounce their name rather than being dismissive of them when you do not. No one really likes being called someone they are not.

• Pyrus

Because you would actually be insulting every other person that also bears this name for absolutely no reason whatsoever. So, imagine doing that with pretty much every name that you come across. Yea, good luck making friends like that with that perfect first impression.