Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 2 months ago

Fertility after BC?

I stopped birth control in October. I didn’t notice any type of ovulating at all (only looked at cervical mucus) but I got my period. Now I should be ovulating again this week.  My husband and I are TTC but I wanted to see if it were normal to not have the cervical mucus that accompanies ovulation?

If this is your first time trying for a baby - and you are just now starting to "try" - then don't worry about trying to "track" anything yet.  Just have sex as often as you can and it will usually just happen.  If doing that has not resulted in pregnancy within a few months - then start trying to track for actual ovulation.

BTW - ovulation USUALLY happens ABOUT 14 days BEFORE the next period.  Start having sex about 20 days before the next period and have sex at least every other day until it is about 10 days away from your period.  (Of course - you can have sex even more often than that - but if you have sex during that time frame - you should hit your ovulation point without really tracking for anything else at all)  Sperm can live for up to five days and wait for your egg.  Having sex often during the time frame before ovulation should be happening is better than waiting for symptoms that seem to indicate ovulation.  Once ovulation actually happens - the egg only lives 12 to 24 hours.

Personally - I could never tell the difference in my cervical mucus - but I have two children - so my answer would be that your mucus does not guarantee failure or success of ovulation.  

Stop overthinking it. If you're TTC then just have lots of sex during the middle weeks of your cycle. Good luck.