Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Why do you need a permit to take down a shed on your own land?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I'm not aware of any place that would make you get a permit for removing a shed. They may cite you for leaving the debris, but why would you need any permitting for this?  The question isn't really sensible or clear. 

• 2 months ago

I don't need a permit for that -- only to build a new one, and only to show it's not within the prescribed setback from the property lines.  All zoning laws are local. Also, local and state building codes vary, and many explicitly EXEMPT sheds from needing permits to build/install/demolish, up to a certain size (e.g., 400 sq ft).

As for why ANYONE has a demolition permit law: it may be for assessor bookkeeping, fire department and environmental records, or simply to make sure you know what you're doing (asbestos, old waste containers, electrical, historical significance, etc) as may apply to some sheds and not others.

For instance: I don't need a local permit to demolish a shed on residential property, but a neighbor with a commercial occupancy needs to hire a licensed electrician to disconnect and remove his wiring, per state law.

• 2 months ago

It all depends where you live and how you take it down plays a big part.. If you are taking it down by hand or with Machine makes $$$ cost rise... or you do it yourself or hire a contractor also...  thx   

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Look, if you just took down the shed really quickly they probably won't do anything about it. Tell the inspector it fell down on its own if they come bothering you. Also tell them that you value your privacy and they are not allowed on your land (to inspect the work). 

You might want to make sure you do it so quickly that its already down before an inspector could get there - also helps if your neighbors don't hate you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

To enable Land registry to keep their records relevant and up to date

• G R
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So the county can get money, plan and simple

• fuzzy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

OOPS I didn't get one.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because some people think taking down a shed means putting dynamite in it and blowing it up, or setting fire to it. That's why these things are regulated. And they also want to know everything that goes on your property so they can assess the taxes. Government is like a loan shark they have to get their money by any means necessary.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.