Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

If I have close family members that don’t live with me, but just tested positive for COVID and are high risk?

And it’s distracting me from doing my work a little, should I let my professors know? Will they give me extensions?

Yes, speaking as a faculty member, absolutely talk to your profs asap.  The kind of breaks they'll give you will depend on their individual personalities, but letting them know will be much better for you than having them think you just don't care. 

Source(s): Modern Languages prof

yes get an extension, I would too as a uni student. Most of the time I have completed assigments prior to the extended due date but its good to have it just in case.

• ?

You must be worried for your family members; that is understandable. And it's equally understandable that this news is both distressing and distracting. Yes you should tell your teachers, but I would strongly advise against requesting extensions.

Focus as best you can and get the semester done over and done with. When the semester is over, you can relax and attend to your family.

Extensions only prolong the agony. Extensions will also eat into your 'vacation' time, thus preventing you from getting much needed time off.

Good luck.

Yes do classes on line

• ?

If you want an extension, you have to ask. Tens of thousands of students either have COVID or have a family member with COVID, so I don't know if your professors will consider your situation unique enough to warrant special consideration this late in the term.  So ask.

You don't need to inform them just to inform them since you are not living with these people. 

• ?

No. They do not live with you. Only let your professor know IF YOU get covid and its bad effects.

• ?

I understand why this makes it hard to focus on your work. I have a couple of students with issues- a little bit different because one is being treated for cancer and the other fell and hurt her leg and is having an operation-- but I gave them as much of an extension as I could. I understand that some universities are allowing students to choose a pass/fail option. My school isn't. We got strict instructions not to give an incomplete unless a student has more than 50% of the coursework submitted. We've always been able to give incompletes to students with health issues, and the student than had 45 days to complete the work. But a lot is going to depend on your individual professors. 

How much contact do you have with them, and what sort of contact? Have you taken reasonable precautions when visiting them? Since you don't live with them, your risk depends on your personal habits of taking proper precautions to prevent infection & how much time you spend with them when doing what. Since your risk may be no higher than for a reasonably proactive person who goes grocery shopping periodically, do not expect any special consideration from professors. You don't live with them! And if you behave appropriately, you have little to no risk even if you did visit over the past few weeks while they might have been contagious. It appears from your post that you are either panicking unnecessarily, or you've been very careless, or you're just looking for an excuse for not doing your schoolwork timely. What's the real deal here?

• drip

Maybe maybe not. Many people are dealing with this. At school and at work.

Are these people immediate family, are they in the hospital? If not,  I doubt they would give you an extension.

You can ask, but I am not sure just how much credence they would give that, given how many across the country are in the same situation. I am not trying to be mean to you because I know this must be very upsetting for you, but the professors could look at this as you just trying to get more time out of them. I hope everything works out for you and that your family is ok. Take care.