what are the consequences of driving more than 1 passenger with a probationary license in NJ?

Everyone that I know of that has a probationary license drives around more than 1 person, but my mom is telling me that I will lose my license if I do. Is this true, because I can’t even imagine how many 17 year olds in NJ are pulled over with multiple people in the car. What would the consequences be if I had more than 1 passenger? Thanks!

Yes, ticket and suspension. Just because others do it does not mean you should.

Mommy is correct.  It's an automatic 6 month suspension.

Did Mommy also tell you that if you are in an accident with a probationary license and more than 1 passenger the insurance carrier can and probably will deny coverage?  

Your mom is kind-of right.  And the consequences are up to the judge, depending on what else was going on when you're stopped by a cop.

Your mom isn't worried about 'everyone you know' and what they got away with when they did it, she's worried about you if you get caught.  Remember this:  Other people getting away with something doesn't make it less illegal.  Lots of people get away with shoplifting and underage drinking, but that's not going to help you in court if you're caught doing either.

If you're stopped while violating the graduated rules, you can face increased penalties.  The cop will decide if you're given a warning, charged with a simple traffic violation, or a violation of your license conditions.  That all depends on a combination of details, including the cop's mood that day, why you were originally stopped, your attitude when the cop walks up, and whatever else is going on at the time.

I'll use the laws where I live as an example, because I don't know the rules in NJ for new drivers.  I know the rules where I live, so I'll pretend you're stopped in Ontario because your intermediate license is accepted here.  Let's say both of us are stopped by the same cop on the same evening, and we're both stopped for not buckling up.

The worst I'll get is a $110 fine with no points, because I'm old and carry a 'full' licence.  Even if I'm a total jerk to the cop, that's the extent of the laws I broke so that's all I can be charged with.

You, on the other hand, aren't just not wearing a seat belt.  You're also violating the conditions of your licence, and the cop knows it because the restrictions are part of the exam you had to pass.  If the cop decides to throw the book at you, you now face an increased fine, some naughty-naughty points on your record, your driving privileges are suspended for 30 days, and the vehicle can be towed and impounded (at the owner's expense) for 7 days.  The penalties are always higher when you break the law deliberately.

A trained monkey could use Google to find the answer, and a slightly more intellectual creature called an imbecile could go to the NJ MVC website or look in the state drivers manual and figure it out. 

But I'll take pity on your sorryass this time. Mandatory $100 fine for the first violation of multiple people. If no one in the vehicle is over 21 with 3-years driving experience, that would be a second violation and another $100. If it happened at night, that would make three and another $100.  At the disgretion of the judge, you could lose your driving privileges. 

• May

Mom is right.  You would lose your license.  And.............you would likely be fined.

Only a fool would take the risk.

THE FACTS ABOUT THE LAW•

May not drive between 11:01 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.•

May only transport one passenger, unless the driver is accompanied by a parent or guardian or the passengers are the driver’s dependents (children)•

Use of a cell phone (hand-held or hands-free), hand-held video games or any other hand-held wireless electronic devices (i.e., iPods, GPS) is prohibited•

Must ensure that they and all of their passengers wear seat belts•

Must display the GDL decals on any vehicle they drive•

Face a fine of $100 for a violation under the GDL