Canadian lost his social card. Wife American. How can I get a replacement without paying a huge Iawyer fee.?

I am retired US Army. Lost everything in a Hurricane Laura. Need as card to travel back home. Parents sick. Please advise.


Married 27 years.

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Timed married is not important

    You DO NOT need your SIN card for travel.

    Retired US Army and a Canadian too. Very rare but there are some.

    You DO NOT need a lawyer and can apply online for a confirmation of your Social Insurance Number.

    SIN cards are not IDENTIFICATION.

    There is no fee to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

    Not enough for Border crossing purposes.

    With Covid 19 there are additional rules to return to Canada.

    If you need more detail talk to a human.

    1-506-548-7961 (long-distance charges apply) It can be a long hold they are busier than normal.Hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Atlantic timeClosed statutory holidays.

  • 2 months ago

    You do not need a SIN card at all.  I have not shown mine in over 40 years.  Almost 50 in fact.  I do know the number though, and have had to use is (for tax things) a few times.  You do NOT need one to cross the border!

    To get a replacement, there is a government agency that does that.  You simply apply, and pay the fee ($20 or so I think), and they mail it to you.  No lawyers are needed at all.

  • 2 months ago

    A lawyer is never needed to replace ID, no idea where you got that idea.  You can use your US passport to cross the border but you should definitely replace those Canadian documents when you can.  Google "replace my Canadian social card" to find the steps.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.