Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How to see a therapist?

So I'm 17 and I've struggled with depression since middle school. I used to see a therapist for it, but then I stopped because I was sick and missed an appointment and my parents never scheduled me another one.

Now I'm living with just my mother and I've told her I'm really mentally struggling. She keeps saying she'll get me to a therapist, but she never does. And my mental state is getting worse and worse everyday. Last night I slept on the bathroom floor and couldn't stop crying and breaking down and I felt suicidal for the first time in years. I need a therapist and I don't know what to do

• polly

You go to your GP & describe the psychological symptoms that you're experiencing & she/he will refer you to a therapist that specialises in treating them

I suggest to consult or search for best therapist in your nearby area

• Orla

Call your old therapist now and follow her advice.

• ?

Simple, call around, or google the ones that meet your criteria

• ?

you need to be refered to one by your family doctor

I don't know what state or even what country you live in, although there are solutions in most locales. First, I would tell your Mother once again that it's very urgent. If that doesn't prompt her into helping, I'd discuss it with a counselor at your school as they generally are well trained on how to find you the help you need. Perhaps you could discuss the issue with your Minister at church if you attend one. Another solution could be to contact your local Health Department for advice. I think that telling your Mother how urgent it is should be your first choice. I wish you well.

If you live in the US and your mother doesn't want you to get therapy.

if you are 17 you are still in school--make an appt with the school social worker.

Schedule an appt for future therapy dates which work zxjw

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

Your mother is held legally responsible for your medical needs.

By law, she must get you the urgent mental health care you need.

Tell her that this can't wait any longer and she needs to make an appointment with your old therapist immediately rather than start again.

If not, call the child protective agencies in your state and report her for criminal child medical neglect.

You can also call the Boystown Helpline at 1  800  448-3000   24/7 for free.  They are staffed with professional adolescent counselors.