how can i pay for university if i don’t get enough through fafsa?

i’m an american looking to go to university in the UK; i’m waiting on my reference to finish up so i can submit my UCAS. however i did file my fafsa, but i won’t know how much i am offered from the schools until i’m finished with my UCAS. i originally thought that i could just get a loan via fafsa to pay my entire tuition, because thus far while going through community college my loans have. however i’m just now becoming aware that it may not. what do i do? i’m barely middle class, my parents are divorced, and neither of my parents have jobs at the moment but fafsa was asking questions about last year when my dad was still married to my stepmom and he got a severance package from his job before last, which greatly inflated the appearance of our income. i’m anxious because the scholarships i look at would be hard enough to win + id need to win several to pay one semesters tuition. i’m scared of private loans because i’ve always been advised against it. what do i do ??

5 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Hey! I understand your predicament. Why don't you opt for work study jobs? Colleges offer a variety of campus part-time work-study positions and certain off-campus jobs also. I recommend you read this blog to gain some insights on the benefits of work study jobs -

    Alternatively, check out if you do decide to opt for an education loan. UniCreds is one of the leading student loan marketplaces. I'm sure you can find an education loan that fits your profile and allows you a decent repayment plan. 

  • 2 months ago

    FAFSA will not cover the entire cost of studying in the UK as an international student.  Our scholarships are highly selective and based on academic ability not financial need because UK students all get 100% student loans.  If you want a good degree and your parents are hard up, consider also applying to one of the needs blind US universities.

    Start practicing your English; it is a university not a school.

  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Only certain international universities participate in the US federal aid program.  So they are the only ones that would accept federal student loans issued by the government (FAFSA is an application - it doesn't give you money).  It's rare for international students to be awarded scholarships by the universities you plan to attend, but not unheard of.  You may need to choose a more local, and affordable, school. 

  • Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Hmmmmm   How about WORKING and EARNING money to pay your way through college?????

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Please do not call them schools. Here in the UK it is University, schools finish at 18. 

    I looked online and various Universities seem to be able to sort out US loans, so pick out the Universities you want to apply for and look at their funding requirements.


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.