Do I need a passport do get into the USA if I was born there?

I was born in USA but we moved to Mexico when I was around 9 and now that I’m 18 I’m going back and was wondering if I need a passport and how do I get one. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes you do......

• 2 months ago

US citizens are required to only enter/exit US on their US passport. Penalties apply for failure to do so. If you enter on your Mexican passport, you are subject to visit time restrictions, same as for any other Mexican citizen entering US as a tourist. You would not be able to work, rent an apartment, etc, if you enter US on your Mexican passport, either. 

• 2 months ago

Yes, you obviously need a passport to cross an international border.

• 2 months ago

Yes. If you plan to enter the USA by surface transport then you can get by with a passport card, which costs less than a regular booklet-type passport. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passpor...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You'd have to order your US passport through a US Consulate in Mexico. But once you get that you'd just enter the US as you wish. As a US citizen I believe you could still enter the US even though foreigners aren't allowed under pandemic restrictions. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes you require a passport and a US passport if you are moving and intend to remain. The US passport website folloe the instructions, provide what you are asked for and  pay the fee

• 2 months ago

Yes.  Everyone needs a passport to enter the USA, even returning Americans.  To get one, you just apply.  It is pretty easy.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, you will need a Passport. 

You will need to work through an American Embassy by appointment. It costs money, and requires proof of identity including a certified US birth certificate, proper small photos, and morehttps://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/pass...

Once you have your US Passport, you can even move and work in the USA, and vote in elections.

You are also required to pay US income taxes.

If you do not want your US Citizenship, you should apply for a Mexico passport, denounce your US Citizenship, and apply to visit the USA as any Mexican citizen.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

To cross any international border you need a passport

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.