?
Lv 4
? asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Could you help me understand pseudoscience by giving me some examples ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Graphology, numerology, and astrology, are all examples of pseudosciences.

A pseudoscience is a fake science that makes claims based on faulty or nonexistent scientific evidence.

• 2 months ago

You have a number of silly gimmicks listed here. If you want a definition, maybe the most important difference between pseudoscience and real science is that real science makes predictions. Albert Einstein came up with an idea that struck a lot of people as crazy - the idea that if you go very fast, time slows down. A man can make himself younger than his twin brother. But you can predict the way a clock aboard a satellite will function - the fraction of a second it will differ from a clock on Earth. That's another difference - science generally has numbers. A horoscope doesn't give you exact numbers like a scientific experiment. 

• 2 months ago

There are so very many that I suspect you didn't try to research this for yourself.

Consider the many people who wear copper bracelets or other copper items because it helps their arthritis--except it doesn't. It has the placebo effect ("I'm doing something so it must be helping.") and nothing more.

Or scientific racism, the belief that individuals of a specific race are superior beings, whether it's Aryans or the Melanin theory.

How about facilitated communication, the thoroughly debunked practice in which a person unable to communicate is "helped" with an able person assisting their hand to a letter board. Often the communication is exactly what the able assistant wants or needs to hear, like "I love you, Mommy."

• 2 months ago

They are usually fairly goofy gimmicks. One that comes to mind is the vitamin/supplement market. There's some legitimate products but there's always one sudden magic super pill. It contains and is carried by some new herb from some wild tribe in the backwoods of Borneo that they have been using for 50,000 years to do this or that. Then it's loaded with caffeine. There's a psych 101 experiment you'll read about where they gave people adrenaline and then put them in a room with actors being sad, mad, etc. The participant who got the shot claimed the drug they were given made them sad, mad... the same as the way the actors were acting. The food world does something similar, a hypothetical example is one study funded by Yum Brands found pregnant rats raised their healing rate by 3%, p=0.461, r=0.55 when being fed Quinioa. Therefore, Quinoa cures cancer. And we raid the Columbia farms for it, starving them out so they have to by Pop Tarts and get cancer.

The issue in my quinoa story is first rats. They are a good starting point but they are not humans. Then they are pregnant indicating body chemistry not pregnant things don't have and that they are all female. Then increased by only 3%, assuming that is fully applicable to humans, that means you have to wear your cast 2 days less than normal. Then the math basically says it happened due to the quinoa vs random chance 50% of the time with a 50% correlation, i.e. random chance. And then we jumped to conclusions in the conclusion. Healing a rat's cut toe by 3% does not mean curing cancer. And that's how people come to believe claims in cheesy magazines and TV shows.

Pseudoscience is basically bad science. FYI, black people are a lower species of ape because black women's skulls have less volume than white men's. That was the height of science and what IQ tests and school tracts are based on to this day. Your school may have refused to teach you calculus because the IQ test you took in the 5th grade showed you are too stupid to be taught like black people in the 1800s were due to "science."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What particular pseudoscience are you interested in?

I "asked" my library catalogue for books about "pseudoscience" and found a number of titles.  See if your library has them or can get them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.