Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How are puppies in homes that have no crate or “their own place”?

How do puppies act in homes that don’t have a crate or “their own little place to go”? Do they just sleep anywhere in the house, or follow owners everywhere?

• garry

you have  a crate for cats , somewhere they feel safe , dogs only need a bed .

That was the way it always was until someone came up with the idea of caging dogs inside the home. For me that looks like being able to put your toy in it's box when you are finished playing with it. However I see nothing wrong restricting the areas that puppies can go to until they are reasonably well house trained. Dogs are always going to want to be with their pack (you!) it is not natural for dogs to separate which is why they can get so upset when we do. I mean you could have encountered all kinds of disasters and they're not there to protect you!

Yes to both. I strongly suggest putting them in the bedroom with the owner at least. Not loose in the house. 

• ?

Perfectly normal  and mainly without the anxiety problems that caged dogs generally acquire.

They're going to want to sleep next to you (like in your bed).  I have not had good luck with crates;  They'll howl and cry.  I strongly suggest having a good plan in place from the beginning.  Contact a trainer before you get the puppy.  Different breeds need different types of training and discipline.  Good love.

In My house she can sleep anywhere that's not furniture.

• *****

Crates, while they can be useful tools when used appropriately, certainly aren't necessary to raise a puppy. Our most recent puppy we mostly used a playpen when we couldn't watch him. We have several dog beds he can choose from to hang out on, though usually he prefers to be stretched out under my boyfriend's desk while he works. 

• ?

I don't use crates but I also don't think a young puppy should be given free roam of the house,  and certainly not using stairs very young. 

Shut the dog into a smaller room with a stairgate or barriers of some kind. It can be dangerous for them to have free roaming from young as they can chew wires or other hazardous things.

My adult dogs have total free roam of the house.  

They will find a good spot where they feel safe.

I threw a couple of rungs on the floor beside my bed & put a folded blanket on top & that is where my dog sleeps.

If you are going to allow free range in the house, you need to puppy proof your home so the pup has a safe environment to be in.

Potty training is vital, Put up everything so the pup won't get hold of things he shouldn't have.  Put up things you do not want destroyed by a puppy chewing.  Hide all electrical cords, put up the TV remote, put your shoes & dirty clothes up where the pup cannot get hold of them.  Puppies will chew on anything & everything so keep a large supply of chew toys for the pup.

Puppies follow their owners everywhere.  As they get older, they become more independent.