movielover asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Why don’t vets shoot cats and dogs with tranquilizer guns like they do with horses and donkeys?

• Jojo

I would think one of the main reasons is that most people that love their pets very much,  would find shooting them was unacceptable.

Also, if the vet is not very experienced they may not shoot the pet in the correct place and that could be very distressing for them.

Injection is safer and its less distressing for the owner and the vet. No blood to be seen and the dog looks like its sleeping. 

I expect there are other good reasons.

I have had a couple of my sheep shot by a vet, but would not like that method done on my pet dogs. 

Not to say its a bad thing if done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing, and the animals owner is ok with it. 

Sometimes vets do, if a particular cat, or dog, is feral and dangerous.   Otherwise they can be caught so there's absolutely no need to do this.   It's not always needed with horses or donkeys either.

because cats and dogs are easy to catch