Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

Who would be entitled to a Covid vaccine first ?

My mate has diabetes 

• Andy C

Health care workers and residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. 

I have seen on the news that people who are at greatest risk will be offered the vaccines first.... you'd have to check with the doctor and ask. Probably the best way to find out.

--  You do not mention what country you are in, so an appropriate answer is difficult.

--  Here in Australia the order is --

Front line workers -- doctors, nurses, other medical staff, police, ambulance drivers and firemen.

Elderly over 65 and other seriously ill people.

People with other illnesses

Other people

• Shay

That depends on your location and how the vaccine is going to be distributed.  I have heard some slightly mixed information for the order in the US - so I am not sure what source is most accurate.  Until they actual make the vaccine available, any information of the order it will be given is just predictions anyway.

In the US - I have heard that "frontline" workers will get the first available vaccines.  This would be hospital staff (doctors - nurses - frontline medical people), and police and firemen - since they respond to public emergencies and deal with the general public.  

I heard that the next round of vaccines would go to "essential" workers - these would be people who have jobs in the food industry or any part of work that keeps the country running - so it should also include people who work in the production of essential products.  

Now - this is the point that I am not sure about.  I have heard that people with high risk conditions would also be part of the second wave of vaccines - but I have also heard that they would be the third wave of vaccines.

Until the vaccines are actually being distributed - we won't know the final planning on who gets first vaccines.

Based on the current information I have - in my situation - I am lower risk than my husband as far as physical health - but I work in an "essential" job - so even though his health risk is higher - I might get a vaccine before he could because of my job.  (I work at a company that makes soap and hand sanitizer for hospitals.)

You don't indicate which country you're in, my friend, but in the UK the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has examined data on who suffers the worst outcomes from coronavirus and who is at highest risk of death

Its interim guidance says the order of priority should be:

> Older adults in a care home and care home workers

> All those aged 80 and over and health and social care workers, though they may move up the list

> Anyone 75 and over

> People aged 70 and over

> All those aged 65 and over

> High-risk adults under 65

> Moderate-risk adults under 65

> All those aged 60 and over

> All those 55 and over

> All those aged 50 and over

> The rest of the population, with priority yet to be determined.

• ?

Health care workers should be first, then people like your"mate" with illnesses that make Covid more dangerous to them.