? asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it worth it to have a dog?

• Sarah

I love my dog. He's my best bud. We do just about everything together and I honestly cant think about a time where he wasn't by my side.

But he shits and pisses everywhere, and always gets into the trash.

Yes, if you train it well. But to each their own, and some people just don't do well with dogs. But can help protect, guard, hunt, and etc. 

• ?

Depends on how you define "worth it"

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I can't answer that for anyone else. What do you think?

I don't understand the 'worth it' bit.

Is it a pleasure to own a dog then yes of course IF you really want a dog and are prepared to put in the work and the commitment needed. 

There's very few people who,  once they've owned a dog,  will ever be without one. 

But it is no good getting one until you know you will put in the time and effort and realise that a dog restricts your lifestyle somewhat.   

• ?

Absolutely.  A dog is PURE JOY.

To me it is far more worth having a dog than not having any at all.  I have not been without a dog for a very very very long time.

I have spent all of my adult life taking in large & extra large dog & not I am down to 1 when I am used to having about 5 at any one given time.  Yes it is worth it.  Big time worth it.  I cannot imagine life without dogs.  I am 72 next month.

Dogs have been my life passion,  I am a Canine Behaviorist, a retired Professional Dog Trainer, a retired all breed Dog Groomer & I rescued these dogs for over 50 yrs.

If you don't know, it may not be for you.

• ?

Yes very certainly it is, should you be a  working shepherd  as I am .... Then particularly so.