jt asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

I cant cook at all, i will like to learn how, anyone would like to help me make certain things?

I want to say thank you to the people who answered me? I would like to learn more, can anyone email me at jj2138@yahoo.com

• Kate
    Favorite Answer

There are many websites and hard copy cookbooks for beginners. Not sure what you mean by "certain things", it helps to be a bit more specific so people can guide you in the right direction. Google "Beginner Cooking/ Cookery" or go to a bookstore.

Make what 'certain things'?

Have you tried googling for recipes, or watching YouTube videos for guidance?

• ?

When I was 22 I could cook 3 things; mac n cheese, spagetti and roast beef.  I decided that I really needed to start learning to cook more stuff.  I'm quite a good cook now.  No one is born knowing how to cook so don't give up.  Practice, practice, practice!!!  Private message me your specific questions and I'll be glad to answer.  

• Darla

Start small. Ramen noodles.... Oatmeal. Eggs. 

• ?

Cookbooks are good ONLY if you already know the basics.

Example:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26317/chicken-po...

It asks for you to:

cube chicken breast

slice carrotsslice celerychop onion....

How big is a "cube", how thin you slice carrots and celery, how course to chop your onion?  Until you have watched someone, you don't know the terms that the cookbooks assume you know.

Can you find a cooking class where you live? 

Find a cougar in a bar and ask if she could teach you how to cook?

• ?

The best advice I can give is to watch some cooking videos that teach you how to prepare things you want to cook. Start simple. You wont be making prime rib your first time, but a nice spaghetti and meat sauce with salad isnt out of reach. Once you've mastered the basics, you can learn new recipes. Good eats with alton brown is a good show to watch. He explains the why you do things a certain way and you learn how to apply that knowledge to other dishes

If you really, really can't cook at all then the best thing to do is to pick a student cookbook for dummies.  Their starting point is that the person cooking will have a limited budget, limited equipment (there's always a list of basic equipment to buy in the first chapter), need clear instructions, and need to feed an adult nutritiously.  They may not be the most exciting recipes but they get the job done and build up confidence to branch out.  The internet is a wonderful place but too much choice and distraction can prevent you from the all important doing and no amount of reading or watching videos can make up for practice.

Start simple.  The trouble with the internet is that there is too much information.  Buy the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook - the red plaid one, on ebay.  It not only has about 800 recipes, it teaches you how to cook. 

Can you read?    Do you have the brain cells to follow basic directions?    If yes, try following a focking recipe. 

???

• kswck2

Got to be a bit more specific. What certain things?