Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Is being called a certain title referring to age or marital status?

I am wondering why some people call me ma'am all day and other days call me Miss or no title? and yesterday a couple people kept using Miss and ma'am interchangeably as if they were confused of my age, I feel this is judging me and puts me in a angry bad down mood. 

But even if you are old enough to be married, why assume somebody is married? or is ma'am not assuming that? I assume ma'am is considered the person must be old enough to be married... so it's just categorizing and it's not right. Even though us ladies prefer Miss, that's also assuming somebody is single which some people are married at 18 and others are not married at 36 so why title people? I never use titles plus women are sensitive if they think they are calling them "older"

What would you have them call you?  Can't use "sir" - Maam is a more respectful form of address, usually implying someone a bit older, perhaps married rather than single, where Miss is more for a young woman/girl - maybe teenager, but it implies younger, prob not married.  Used to be you could call any adult woman "Mrs" even without the last name, but that's kind of archaic now.  I maam is probably the most respectful formal address for a female unknown.  I wouldn't be offended by it.

No it is only being polite.

They may have been confused.

• ?

Originally, "miss" (for males: "master") was used for unmarried people, including everybody too young to be married