Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How would you feel if your partner loves their 17 year old daughter more than you?

I would hope that if I had a 17-year-old daughter, my GF would realize that she's my own flesh and blood and my love for her would be 100% although not in a romantic manner. The love would be equal although in different directions.

maybe you should talk to him about it

• Orla C

Yeah, that's the natural way of things. 

If I were the partner, and my boyfriend/girlfriend was getting huffy about me caring about my child more than them, they wouldn't remain my partner for long. 

Really depends what kinda “love” you are talking about zx

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

I’d feel like that was endearing and something perfectly natural..

This is too vague to provide real help, other than to point out that one would hope a partner loves their child more than someone they're dating.

• Foofa

Parents are supposed to love their kids more than their romantic partners. This is ingrained in human programming. If this is your daughter too and you don't love her more than her mother you're the one with the abnormal feelings. If this isn't your kid and you're a stepparent...one wonders how you couldn't know that of course any parent is always going to preference their children. When single parents remarry and don't continue to care the most about their children we call that bad parenting. 

I wouldn't be surprised, or hurt. People love their children wholeheartedly, and have been programmed by millions of years of evolution to be hugely protective of them and to put their best interests first. To look at it purely in evolutionary terms, our children are essentially to carry on our DNA, whereas our partners are replaceable - I don't mean that your partner thinks you are replaceable, but that the love for a child is different in that way. Most people would expect someone to put their child first, even if they are almost an adult. If my partner said he loved me more than his children, I'd be slightly worried, to be honest!

I would say it is as it should be. Besides, there are different kinds of love, the love for a child, the love for a partner, the love for a parent etc. I dated a widower once, and it was a no-brainer to both of us that his daughter was his top-priority. I've also dated a guy taking care of his teenage sister who was going through a rough time, and while he was apologetic about putting her first, I expected nothing less of him.

Of course, loving one's child more than loving one's partner doesn't mean that the partner should at any point feel unloved or disrespected.

what? obviously a parent loves their child more than their partner. i would be shocked if it was the other way round.