victor asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

What's a good video chatroom for normal elderly people?

My mother is an extremely social person, but due to covid and her fragile health issues, she's been forced to stay at home a lot. Unfortunately, it is taking a toll on her mental health, she's falling into depression etc. Are there any like group video chatrooms for for people 50 years and older? Any platform will do, zoom, skype etc. Any idea you may have would be a great help. 

We live here in the U.S. and I'm hoping to get answers that are more than "look online", that's why i am here, my own searches were not great. 

People over 50 are NOT elderly. Unless YOU are about 12.

What as opposed to a weird elderly person? LOL, I'm 62 I just thought the way you phrased this was funny. I haven't found anything either. Tell her I said Hello to be careful online people prey on us elderly.LOL, But they really do. Have you told her to answer questions on here? I really tried to find a chat room for people my age. But there is really nothing I have found other than dating sites. Places like OK Cupid and stuff like that. Not what I would recommend. I will try looking into it again. If I find anything I will come back and let you know.

My wife of advanced years spends endless hours on Facebook,it's her way of staying engaged.But to be clear,one should be careful of what they wish for.

The dating website 'Our' 'Time' comes to my mind zxjqvplf

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

You should be able to find some. I'll show you something that might help. This has information about a variety of lifestyle choices that can help with depression. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

There are many.  If you just investigate chat rooms alone, you'll find dozens - and that doesn't begin to address video platforms.

This is limited by her ability and willingness to master computer or tablet operation (which can be a huge limiting factor in any scheme to keep a senior active using modern technology).

Also, a lot of these sites and rooms assume that the objective is dating, which might be a problem for many seniors who have no interest in that sort of thing.  However, a more-careful search can, no doubt, find chat rooms or other platforms that are focused on ACTIVITIES such as hobbies, rather than on dating.

From experience, I think you'll find that an extremely social senior will find their own way, once taught how to search - but that the less-social senior will benefit FAR more from having someone sit with them IRL and perhaps fiddle with the computer or tablet together, doing games or puzzles.  This is where most younger care-givers mess up - their first objective is use technology so they can feel good while avoiding spending time with the senior themselves...and with many seniors that's just not going to work at all.

• Tavy

Which country? We have plenty here in the U.K.

does she like to play board games?

there are a online board game communities.  but like all chatrooms some of the poeple aren't very cool.