Anonymous

am i a loser?

hey guys. so i’m 18, and graduated class of 2020. currently taking a year off school (since we’re in a pandemic, it seemed like perfect timing), and i work part time. i work at a major chain store, and i really want to quit. i know for a fact working there isn’t my career, i’m also moving out of my current city in april, so i’d end up leaving regardless. i know i’m young, but i feel like i have nothing going for me. i feel like if i quit my job, i’ll be doing nothing all day. i just feel stuck... is it normal to feel this way? thanks :(

if you’re being rude, go to hell. i don’t need back talk from a bunch of boomers. 

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Most people work because they want and/or need the money.  You can save up for college or tech school.  Keep working.  Most of us had minor jobs for spending money before we got our lifelong type jobs.  Don't be lazy and save as much as you can to continue your schooling so that you can acquire skills needed for better paying and, hopefully, more satisfying work.

And BTW, unless you're driven toward certain type of work (which you clearly aren't) like being a doctor or vet or teacher or whatever, lots of people have jobs they don't even like - but they like earning money, eating and paying the bills.  They deal with it.

You aren't a loser but you might be lazy.  Don't give into your laziness; especially when it comes to earning money to pay the bills.

Are you a loser?  Yes but everyone in this town is so don't sweat it.  That's what a lack of professional career options and overall lack of opportunity and direction does to a person.  It creates transients and grifters by design.  Ain't no amount of college degrees gonna change that.  People's resumes are severely underwhelming around here and everyone is in the same boat no matter how many college degrees they have. I'd throw their resume directly in the can too if I were the hiring manager.  It's garbage!

It's easy to sit here and tell someone to look for a better job that meets their needs.  I'm sure that's easy to do when opportunity is in abundance but the person telling you that obviously doesn't understand the current job market where opportunity is extremely scarce.  It's not so easy to simply go out and get a different job when there are very few jobs hiring out there to begin with.

How would you be doing nothing all day?   I haven't felt like going to work for 20+ years now, but if I want to eat I need to work.

• Judy

You're not a loser, but quitting without another job lined up would be a really bad decision.

• Scott

April is 5 months away! You sound lazy to me. If working part time is too tough for you, how are you going to make it in the real world?

• Maxi

When people make poor decisions or poor plans they fail....... so yes poor decision making like you are will cause anxiety

• RP

No. You aren't a loser, but you are trying to find the path you'd like to travel. Keep your mind and your options open and you'll be fine.

Yes, you are a loser. Do a good job and maybe get a 2nd job. You should be working 40-45 hours a week.

Work ethic is important.

Wanting to quit is silly. You trade your time for money. I needed money when I was 18.

Get back in school. That will help you regain focus in your life. Taking a year off is dangerous because it's often difficult to get started again.