Is it weird I want to remain faithful to my wife after divorce for religious purposes?

My wife and I were married in the Catholic Church. 

Over the past couple months I've been studying the Catholic teachings on marriage and found that t

he church believes that marriage cannot be dissolved. Even though my wife left me and got a divorce, the church still considers us married. And therefore I must remain faithful to her and if necessary remain celibate until one of us dies. I want to go to heaven after I die and that’s why I choose to remain faithful. If she does not remain faithful to me, she will not go to heaven. I have told her that time and time again and she does not believe me. I honestly just want the best afterlife for both of us, because not obeying my religion has severe consequences for both of us 

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Religions are man made, and the "rules" you cite are not God's rules. Some religions, churches and groups use the fear of hell, etc. for their own purposes. God wants His children to be happy, not fearful. He would have us do the best we can in life - not least in service of some sort to other people. Don't worry about what happens to your ex - that is not your call. 

There are other Catholic rules such as concerning contraception, abortion, homosexuality., etc. These are rules designed hundreds of years ago to ensure that Catholicism (etc.) continues: Catholics ensure their children follow suit, and the mortality rates were dreadful. You can, of course, choose which "rules" you wish to abide by.

Good Luck!

I’d get a second option from a clergyman of your faith. 

yes, lamentably, if you have a sexual intercourse now after you have divorced her, you will be "cheating" her, it's a fact, and not a very good one. that's why there are "protestants". anyway, you could get a marriage nullity (that testifies that there where not a marriage in the first place) and it's given by the Vatican in cases of rigged marriage and stuff like that. anyway, i don't think that this is the case, and you should consult your local catholic church for advise. I'm sorry man, but that's all i can tell you, sometimes, religion sucks, not gonna lie.

• ?

Jerald, I don't know whether you have access to a Bible or just depend on your priest to interpret scripture for you; however, there are scriptures within the Bible that say a marriage can be spiritually dissolved if one of the partners has left, divorced and committed adultery by marrying another person or being in a relationship with someone else. (Matthew 9:9, Matthew 5:32, and Mark 10:11-12). You are innocent of guilt in such a case. I recommend that you read those scriptures for yourself.    A person is also released from a marriage if that person's partner married him/her under false pretense of being a believer and then turns out to be an unbeliever. The scripture that says that is I Corinthians 7:15.  Also, you are not responsible for your former wife's spiritual afterlife--only your own.  

No I do not think it’s weird. 

Something that I think is important to take into consideration though is that, what she did was totally out of your control. The divorce falls on her & she will one day have to stand before God and answer for her decisions & choices. She will have to answer for leaving her marriage behind, not you. She is the one who broke a covenant between the both of you & God. Not you. 

I would truly pray, ask God for strength, ask him for clarity & guidance. meditate on it. 

Religions make up all kinds of stuff. Mostly for Earthly control because they all know they have zero control over people once they die. A whole lot of it likely has nothing to do with God at all. But they get rich telling you it does and demanding you recognize that they, magically, have a better pipeline to God than you do. Talk to God on your own... your line to him is every bit as good as anyone else's. 

A person should always follow what they truly believe ( not necessarily what a religion teaches).  If you believe this then you have outlined your correct course of action.  Others won't agree with you but each has their own right to their own conscience.

You're asking if it's 'weird'? No, it's not weird if you're a wholly-indoctrinated victim of religious mind control who has very little in the way of critical thinking skills and is unable to differentiate between religious mythology and reality. But it sure is weird otherwise, yeah.

• n2mama

You can do whatever you want to. Don’t be at all surprised that she doesn’t follow those same beliefs. She is your ex, she has no reason to stay “faithful” to an ex husband, and if you believe that will keep her from going to heaven you can believe that but she does not have to. It is not your place nor your right to try and force your beliefs on her. Maybe if you had spent more time focusing on being a better husband she wouldn’t be your ex wife.

You need to do what makes you whole. It is not for us to make that decision or to even have comments.