Marnie
Marnie asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

In Irish naming tradition is it only the eldest that would follow the tradition?

If younger children followed it too what would the order be? 

So if you were the 2nd child for example and your older brother named his first son after dad, the babys granddad, would you then also name your son after your dad?

• Kevin
    Favorite Answer

No it is all children 

Traditionally children were named after the following people so a father of two choirs potentially end up with two grandsons named after him, father of 5 with 5 grandsons with his name etc. 

Sons - named after

1st born - paternal grandfather 

2nd born - maternal grandfather 

3rd born - father

4th born - eldest paternal uncle

5th born - eldest maternal uncle 

6th born - 2nd eldest paternal uncle 

7th born - 2nd eldest paternal uncle 

etc 

Girls-

1st born - maternal grandmother 

2nd born - paternal grandmother 

3rd born - mother

4th born - eldest maternal aunt

5th born - eldest paternal aunt 

etc

So yes if your sibling named there son after your father and you would also name a son after your father

If my older brother named his son after our, I wouldn't use it as a first name for my son, but I am okay with using it as a middle name. My grandpa, dad, and brother have the same name and my brother plans on using it for a son. If I have a son I would like to use their name as a middle name- also its my maternal grandpas middle name and I would like to honor them all. 

I’d try to post this question under ‘Ireland’ section zxj

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

If the traditional pattern is to name the first child after the paternal granddad, then why are there so many Irish-surnamed eldest sons named after their fathers? Look at the Kennedys -- all their eldest sons (except Robert F. Kennedy's) are named after their fathers. RFK named his eldest son after his brother (and paternal grandfather).

Why follow in a tradition? Is their some great reward that comes in the following of it? Is there a punishment that comes with not doing it? Just name your kid a good name or your choosing. My family is psychotic with name-sakes.... truly.... and it is for nothing.

• ?

Don't understand your question. The traditional Irish naming convention means the first son is named after his paternal grandad, the second after his maternal grandad, the third after his father. Then then uncles on each side. 

Girls followed similar, but with maternal being first.