Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Are my parents being unreasonable? ?

Last night I was supposed to be home at midnight but I got home at 1:30, my mom was waiting up for me and when she asked me where I was I told her I was at my friend's house and lost track of time, she got mad and grounded me for 3 days and took my car keys.  I'm only 17 and we all make mistakes so I don't understand why my mom is so upset, it's not like I was banging guys and getting drunk. 

• ?

probably cause you kept her up worrying about you

When you get older you’re going to have real responsibilities and won’t be able to use the excuse “I lost track of time”. She is teaching you how to be a responsible adult, and why it is best to listen to your parents. 

It’s only 3 days, this is perfectly reasonable 

Not calling her and "losing track of time" just tells her that you are too immature to be trusted.  Next time set an alarm so you can get home at the time you're supposed to be home. Not calling her and showing up at 1:30am? OMG. Do you realize how many kids get killed, kidnapped and raped.? Admit to her you were wrong. APOLOGIZE TO HER and tell her it will never happen again, because you will set an alarm next time. Take your punishment and LEARN from it. Do not be angry with her, be grateful that you are not dead on the streets somewhere!!!

As you are a minor and live at home, you must follow their rules. 

Maybe they are, maybe not...either way, you're grounded. 

they might be overreacting a little, but you should understand that you betrayed their trust, better arrive early than arrive late. also, i'm sure they got VERY worried about you because you where missing for ONE HOUR AND A HALF. they might be a little severe, but it's not that bad, it's a pretty fair and well deserved penalty, if you ask me

If you can't follow simple rules by your parents, how will you be able to work in any organisation with discipline. 

• Carmen

Hello young one there is a saying that goes if you are faithful in what is least you will be faithful in much? Being a young adult means being responsible reliable trustworthy and obedient before you get out into the real world where you might not get second changes to get it right or do over. It's the principle in this situation that angered your mom not what you might or might not of been doing. We are all imperfect and make mistakes but every action will have a reaction especially when it comes to listening to and abiding by your parents rule. Appreciate the opportunity you had to be out of the house until midnight and honor your parents so it goes well with you. And be grateful you only got a few days being grounded count your blessings listen obey and be blessed. 

You violated a trust when you weren't home on time.  I don't buy your excuse & I think she was right.  Wow, only three days?  I would have made it a week.

You are a minor, living under her roof and must abide by her rules.  You are still a child and she is responsible for you.  A simple phone call might have shown a little consideration.