Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Have you ever had a car door repainted?

Did it match the rest of the car or was the color slightly off?

There are some things to consider.  Is the original paint on the car faded, is the spray painter good at matching the color, and is the paint a paint with a metallic flke in nit as it is very hard to match metallic paints.  I had a door resprayed years ago which was white and it looked as good as new and you could not tell it had been damaged and spray painted again.  Not sure if some other colors are as easy to match or not.

No I don't have

Actually yes--and no, it wasn't off-color. I had it done at the dealership and they had access to the paint and the color. 

you did make the paint one shade darker didnt you , it dries lighter you know ... so much for amateurs ..

It's going to depend upon several things.To be certain of an undetectable professional match in color,texture,and gloss,the adjacent panels are blended in to then the entire area is clear coated and highly polished.

• ?

Paint colors fade and change with time. A good paint shop will measure what the actual color of your bodywork is now and adjust the paint they're putting on accordingly. A less helpful paint shop will just apply paint according to the car's factory paint code and it will indeed be slightly off.

• ?

You shouldn’t be able to notice with a professional repair. 20-30 years ago, resprayed  areas then faded quicker than factory paint, and after a year or so, even perfect repairs looked obvious, but paints used by the refinishing industry have improved a lot.

As far as my eye could tell, it was a perfect match.   I understand that it is more difficult with some colors (like silver) than others.

• yes, it did match the color however the door that was repainted felt "grainy" to the touch.

I had a hood and fender repainted after an accident.  (Both the hood and fender were off a different car and were a different color originally).  I was surprised how well they matched.  The car was 10 years old and had been parked outdoors all that time.  I would have thought the original paint had faded a little, but there was no noticeable difference.  I guessed that perhaps they'd formulated the paint to match the faded original paint.