Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 months ago

Will taking ibuprofen (Nurofen Female) affect my blood test for PCOS? ?

My doctor had me take a blood test to see if I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). Basically to check my hormone levels and such. I just found out iburpofen (I took Nurofen Female) affects hormone levels. Will this have affect on the outcome of my test, I want it to be accurate and see if I really have PCOS or not... 

Ps: I took the pills the day before and the day of my test.. 

the short answer is no.. the diagnosis of PCOS is made by 2 positives in 3 tests: subjective (meaning history and examination), ultrasonography USG (seeing multiple cysts in ultrasound) and hyperandrogenism (hyper means more; and androgens are male hormones (mainly testosterone)).. you can still have normal blood results while having PCOS..

women do have a small amount of testosterone in their blood about 0.7-3.6 pg/ml which is extremely low amounts.. however in PCOS, the level exceeds 2000 pg/ml which is beyond of what Ibuprofen can disrupt.. (note that some labs use pg/ml but other labs may use different units such as ng/dl or nmol/L.. the conversion involves simple calculator steps that a 20 years old me used to do them frequently, but now i often use Google to do them for me; i just type '3.6 pg/ml in nmol/L' and Google do the heavy lifting for me..)

it is true that ibuprofen breaks down testosterone in the blood and reduces the production of testosterone, but the effect is minimal in PCOS.. it is like asking a 5 years old to slay a dragon using a plastic spoon; there's not much a child could do against a dragon.. also ibuprofen is given as a temporary measure, we would not normally give NSAIDs pain killers for long.. 2 days are far too short to mount any impactable effect on testosterone levels..'  

'

however it is always a good idea to inform your doctors about taking NSAIDs if they are not aware about it..