Andrew
Andrew asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

If someone's taking up two seats on a crowded bus, is it rude to threaten to sit on their stuff?

Let's say you get on a crowded bus or subway.  There's some ignorant jerk sitting with their bag next to them. You ask them if they could put it on their lap and they decline like a jerk.  Do you think it'd be rude to say you're sitting anyway and then move to sit on their stuff?

I would say, "Well, I'm sorry, but I don't believe your bag has paid and I have, so I'm going to sit down anyway" but I wouldn't actually sit ON the bag. I would sit on the end of the seat so that my hip would push the bag towards the person, getting them and their bag squashed. 

• ?

i would just try to find another seat

• Jerry

I'd try being more verbally insistent before taking any action. Perhaps enlist the interest of other riders in the matter of bus etiquette. 

• ?

I just began to lower my big butt down on the seat - they moved their belongings REALLY QUICKLY!

When you  practice social distancing, this issue would not come up.

I have done this, i gave them their bag and sat down, some passengers clapped me!

Rather than sit on their bag, remove the bag and place in on the floor or on the owner's lap, then sit down.

No.   A large part of etiquette is not embarrassing people in public.   If you did what you propose it would most likely lead to a scene and definitely embarrass him.   Just say "thank you for your kindness" and walk away.  

• ?

It is very rude to make such a threat.  

Rude, yes.  Well deserved, also yes.