Andrew
Lv 4
Andrew asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

If someone's taking up two seats on a crowded bus, is it rude to threaten to sit on their stuff?

Let's say you get on a crowded bus or subway.  There's some ignorant jerk sitting with their bag next to them. You ask them if they could put it on their lap and they decline like a jerk.  Do you think it'd be rude to say you're sitting anyway and then move to sit on their stuff?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I would say, "Well, I'm sorry, but I don't believe your bag has paid and I have, so I'm going to sit down anyway" but I wouldn't actually sit ON the bag. I would sit on the end of the seat so that my hip would push the bag towards the person, getting them and their bag squashed. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would just try to find another seat

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'd try being more verbally insistent before taking any action. Perhaps enlist the interest of other riders in the matter of bus etiquette. 

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I just began to lower my big butt down on the seat - they moved their belongings REALLY QUICKLY!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

When you  practice social distancing, this issue would not come up.

• 2 months ago

I have done this, i gave them their bag and sat down, some passengers clapped me!

• 2 months ago

Rather than sit on their bag, remove the bag and place in on the floor or on the owner's lap, then sit down.

• 2 months ago

No.   A large part of etiquette is not embarrassing people in public.   If you did what you propose it would most likely lead to a scene and definitely embarrass him.   Just say "thank you for your kindness" and walk away.  

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It is very rude to make such a threat.  

• 2 months ago

Rude, yes.  Well deserved, also yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.