Are "Combat Maids" real? ?

I have noticed a common trend in some novels of maids that can do battle as well as a knight would. I would like to know if there is any validity to the idea, as my own searches have turned up with nothing. Is it possible that maids trained in the art of combat really existed? Or is this just something that people enjoyed so it became a common theme in novels. Where did the idea of "Combat maids" originate? And where they really as skilled as the novels and animes make them seem? And if you would be so kind could you please give me the links the the resulting evidence you find? Please and thank you kindly.

*Were they/not "'where' they"

• Zac Z
    Favorite Answer

I'm not a historian bu the notion of "combat maid", as appealing as it may be for piece of fiction, doesn't pass the sniff test for real life.

The kind of knight you have in mind would have trained for years. Maintaining equipment, horse(s), the necessary servants (you can't even put on an armor by yourself!), etc. is something that only well-off folks could afford.

There were very few women who would have had the standing in society and the opportunity to have these things - and how many of those would have wanted to become a warrior?

I'm writing this with medieval European societies in mind where you also would find your typical knight.

I'm not saying that there were no fighting women in other cultures or other times.

Again, I'm not a historian and I might be wrong but based on the reasoning I've laid out above I doubt that these maids in your novels have much to do with history.

• garry

sounds like you believe everything thats in a movie , like rambo or rocky saving america , no such thing as combat maids lol , sure a maid fighting a knight, he would cut off head head without thinking about it ..you americans are so childish ..

Ever heard of Joan D'Arc?  

In Viking and other Germanic (and probably Celtic, too) culture in the pre-Christian era, some women certainly fought alongside men.  Also look up the Horse Queen of the Steppes.  She was buried with her horse, and with weapons and armor, certainly suggesting her combat abilities.  Oh, and Queen Boudica in Roman England, too.  

Historically?  Which country? Which timeline?

Feudal Japan left the women at home,  knowing that they defended the house and children viciously. 

• Marli

There was Bodicca, the Queen of the Iceni, who led her people in battle against the Romans in England.

The Amazons of Ancient Greek mythology may have been based on fighting women. The goddess Athena, who is depicted with a sword and helmet, may have been a symbol of the female protector.

There are Richard Wagner's Valkuries, but they may not have been inspired by real life fighting women.

Joan of Arc was not formally trained to fight battles. I don't know if Bodicca was. They were out in the field. Joan was the lone woman in her army. Other women who held castles for their husbands may have done more than just encouraged their retainers and cared for the wounded when defending their castles.

• Tina

Neil Price, in his book, The Children of Ash and Elm: A History of the Vikings does suggest that the references in early literature to fighting women in Viking culture could have some basis in fact.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Ash-Elm-History-...

Human Kiwi Fruit: Joan of Arc did have a sword, and did lead her troops in battle. At the siege of Orleans she led the charge in the general skirmishes.

Ludwig - would you mind removing that horrible and irrelevant picture?