Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

I think my computer is compromised, but Windows Defender and Malwarebytes scans are clean?

Should I just say **** it and format, or is there a better program I should use?

Someone who knew my password tried to access my Amazon account. Is is very complex. No way someone guessed it. Only my computer and Iphone access that account.

I did change the password, but how did the culprit get the password in the first place?

Try a windows defender offline scan.  If clean, use it.

Or back up your data and reinstall.

As for passwords, I use LastPass to store them.  Not even the LastPass company can access them.

TinyWall is my favorite firewall, however I'm new to it so I don't really know how it works.

The question is not whether you are running an anti-viral program but whether you allowed it to update its signature list and heuristics library.  Defender is middle-of-the-road.  Never used Malwarebytes so can't discuss it.  I use Kaspersky because of the way I can configure it for auto-updates and auto-scans.

• ?

Check Task Manager and see what processes are running.

• ?

Those softwares are very reliable.They do their job.When you use them you do not need to think about compromising your computer.

"Tried to access" but they didn't get in I assume. Just change the password.

If i was in your situation and could afford it I would take it to a repair shop have them use their antivirus and do a deep scan and if nothing is found i would take it at face value before just  format anything. .. That's what i would do but you can do what you want.