Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 2 months ago

How do I break into acting with no experience?

I am 20 years old. I'm currently a sophomore at university studying biology, with a concentration in biotechnology, and I'm started to have second thoughts about my career choices. Though I plan to graduate college in the next two years. I've always been fascinated with acting since I was little but I've never gotten the chance to do anything acting related or have been shy about it. Also, my parents aren't the most supporting or approving. Now that I'm older, I want to overcome my fears and give acting a chance. My question is, where do I begin? 

• Cogito

Basically, the answer is that you don't - at least, not as a professional.

No-one is interested in someone with no training or experience and only a 'fascination' with acting.  Millions of teens and 20s have that!

It takes, in normal times and on average, seven years of top-level training and stage and film experience for any aspiring actor to even get signed by an agent, which is how actors get auditions and, if they're very talented and very lucky, a job.

In these times, hundreds of thousands of professional actors worldwide are unemployed and will be fighting for auditions as soon as things get back to normal.

When it's allowed, join a community theatre which offers classes to adults.  Find out if you really love acting and have any talent.  If you do, acting as a hobby is rewarding, great fun and a wonderful way to make friends.

Local community theater.  With no experience, you are not going to get any professional work - especially in these times where little is being filmed and theaters closed, once things are back to normal, thousands of well trained and experienced actors will be vying for the few available roles.  Take acting as a hobby.

You begin like you begin any other endeavor that you know nothing about. With studying, and lessons, and practice. It's extremely rare for someone to "break into" show business. It takes a lot of hard work, time, and dedication.