Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 2 months ago

What age should a kid get thier first phone?

I got my first one at 10, but without data, and it was an old htc phone which was a hand-me-down from my dad, I didn't get my first real iphone until 13

• chorle

Mine got theirs in middle school the second time I didn't wake up to pick them up from school. But smart phones where not a common thing then 

I feel like if their 11 and hang out with a lot of kids their age (especially girls) giving them a phone and being a little strict with it and as they get a little older lessen those restrictions so they don't feel like their being pressured to hide it.

I think in this day and age only a teenager should get a phone not a kid regardless of time and society. 

I don't think most kids need a phone! Growing up in the 60, 70s, most of us kids didn't have a phone of our own in our bedrooms so why do kids need one now just because they are small and mobile?

• keerok

I got my first cellphone when I was 27. Shortly after that, I got my first car phone. I got my first landline phone when I was 30, after 20 years of waiting for the phone company to finally connect us. 

Kids? They should get their first cellphone when they can afford to pay for it or when the parent deems it necessary. It's a case to case basis.

When my youngest kid entered high school, during the interview, they explicitly told us that cellphones weren't allowed in school. So okay, we didn't get one for the kid. Whenever he needed to call us, we told him to use the landline at the principal's office and it was that way his whole stay there. One time though, my wife went to fetch him in school. She went straight to the principal's office and ask where can she find our son. The teacher there informed her that classes were suspended due to practice sessions for a program. She told my wife to call our son instead through cellphone. Huh? I thought they didn't allow cellphones. My wife looked around and lo and behold, every kid had a cellphone, that is except for our son, who was already graduating that school year. When they got home, I asked our son if he needed a phone. Nah! He said the phone at the principal's office was almost always free because everyone, students, teachers, and janitors had their own cellphones. He got a dSLR instead.

• garry

age , when they can afford to pay for it , teaches them to respect money and work for it ..

I was retired from 21 years in the Navy before I even saw a person using a cell phone.  It was 16 years after that that the first smart phone came out.  So I was about 45 when I got my first non land line phone and I am fine with that.  Seeing all of these children walking in public with no idea which way they are going and grown women walking into moving freight trains proves that we have gone too far.

• ?

When they get a job and can afford to pay for it.

21 no younger thats not a good idea and not a good up bringing

the kids are out of hand now

Generally speaking, you want to give your child their own phone at the age when they are going out to do things by themselves. They need to phone to meet up with friends, call you to get picked up or contact you in an emergency.

In the US, legally speaking, the age when kids can go out and do things, like walk to school by themselves, is 10. So you should be expecting to give them a phone by this age these days.

You also need to look at their needs, usage and their peer group to decide if you want to give them a phone at a younger age.