Anonymous

working almost 19 hours every day with 3 hours to sleep possible or not?

Hello everyone,

I am currently working at a daycare with toddlers 35 hours a week, I recently took extra work working as a 3rd shift supervisor but is only for less than 2 months after that I can go back to sleep my normal hours.

I really need the extra money but it's going to be very exhausting, I took a week off from my day job to start working the 3rd shift so right now it's not too bad, however after my 3rd shift ends today I need to go to my day job and do the same thing till Friday. Now I was checking and I'll be able to sleep for 3 hours every day until the 3rd shift job ends. 

Can I survive this? it's only until January 18/2021 

Any tips?

Thanks 

I work at my day job from 7:30am till 4pm I’ll get home by 4:40 right to sleep till 8pm to shower and be at my 3rd shift at 9pm till 6:30am. I do get Saturday and Sunday free to sleep all day but I’m just concern about the week. One coworker told me he sleeps 3 hours a day and his body got used to. In my case I will only do this until the second week of January. 

Possible for a short time like 1or2 weeks, but for a long time it's impossible 

I don't think so.

• Eva

You can't do this. Doing it for a week is one thing, trying to do it for nearly 2 months is quite another.  By the second or third week you will be so exhausted that you will be making mistakes, be short tempered, and could even cause an accident.

I never worked 19 hours a day in my life. But I did have a number of 13 hour days for a few months. 13 was not sustainable for longer than a few months even at a young age.

I don't understand your math.

You work 7 hours a day with the daycare, if you work M-F

And you aren't working 12 hour shifts 5 days in a row at the other place....

Even if you were, this would give you the full weekend to re-coop.

Your brain cannot function properly only three hours of sleep a night over weeks or months.    You have no business driving a car or taking care of other people's children when you are chronically sleep-deprived and probably hopped up on caffeine.    You literally could kill yourself or someone else.

If I were your employer at the day care and knew you were doing this (or if I saw a change in your behavior indicating such), I would fire you.  

Don't you have any care or concern for other peoples' safety?