Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Can Beagles be considered relatively easy to train due to their absolute crazy food drive?

Favorite Answer

Being food-motivated can help a dog be easier to train but any research on Beagles will tell you that even if they are food-crazy (not sure if that holds true for all, or just a dog you have seen) it does not OVER-RIDE their naturally bred instincts.  They are an independent breed; bred to run and hunt AT A DISTANCE.... from people.  (They can be VERY HARD to get back once on a hunting track or running loose.)  

Beagles are not bred to work closely with people or to be very willing to please, and that is also true of many OTHER hound breeds.  And these characteristics are even more important - if you want an easy to train dog.  

The well regarded book, "The Right Dog For You" rates all AKC breeds on 16 characteristics and on general learning - Beagles rate HIGH, but on obedience learning rate, they rate LOW.  Again, on learning -problem solving - like how to get food out of a puzzle toy, they rate HIGH.

Ha!  No, they are designed to work away from the hunter,  they are hard to train.

One has nothing to do with the other.  Not all Beagles have a strong food drive.  Most don't.  & dogs don't have to have treats for training.  I never used treats cause I want the dog to do what I ask cause it wants to please me.  It gets lavish praise & petting & play as a reward for doing something right.

• ?

Nope..............

• ?

My gut reaction to this is no.   Especially with scent hounds who will, depending on their hunting instinct, always put scenting and taking off above everything else.  Even food with some.   And you could say following a scent is a food drive LOL.   We had one, our first Basset (not a Beagle), who one time took off on a hot scent.  He was so involved in the scent that my husband, who found him (this boy would babble on a hot scent) stood in his path and he ran straight into him.

If you are talking about food bribes, it might help but not always.   And it does depend on their hunting instinct.  We boarded a scent hound one time and when out with our lot, when they were working on local scents, he was more interested in the girls (who weren't in season and got really teed off with him).   I've never seen a hound with such little interest in wildlife scents.

Best you can hope for with a hound, scent or sight really, is to get the basics in there, but acknowledge that a good scent (or seeing something running) will ALWAYS come first.   If you want instant obedience, then any hound is probably not for you.

• ?

I would not consider a Hunting dog like a beagle to be `easy` to train, and I have never heard that they are a greedy for food type dog.

But it all depends on just what you consider `relatively easy`

Compared to a Collie or GSD or Labrador, they are not as easy by a long way.We had a couple of owners with Beagles at training and the dogs did `ok` with basic commands over a few weeks, but were not really that interested in it all and would rather be off hunting rabbits and hares. JMO.

• Maxi

I wouldn't consider Beagles an easy dog to train, getting their nose off the floor to concentrate can be an issue, but with the right type of training and  being consistant any dog can be trained