Paying off a car loan?

I want to buy a used car for about $8,500 and I have the money to pay it off but I also want to boost my credit by making it car payments. I was thinking about applying for a loan for it then paying until I have about $500. Will it automatically make my payments shorter if I have $500 left or will it keep it the same monthly payments that I had before making me pay it off early?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Forget all the BS about building credit.  That's just for those who don't pay their bills.  Pay the cash.  If you have a card, only use it for airline tickets or to document reimbursement.  I'm 77 and never knew my credit score,  But when I refinanced my home they tried to talk me into borrowing an extra 100,000.  Aside from regular things like utilities the only debt I ever had was a house payment. No I was not born rich.  Worked since I was 15 and paid for my university degree.

Credit scores are immaterial when you don't need to borrow money.  Buy the car and pay cash.  Otherwise you will lose out on the interest payments.  Use a credit card for every day purchases and pay off all of it except for a few dollars and your score will go up.

The way to build credit is to make steady payments of at least a couple hundred a month on time for 12 months, so paying it all off immediately except for $500 would be foolish. Use a credit card for that instead. 

It will not adjust the loan payments and make them smaller. You signed a contract that stipulates what the payments are. If you pay off a bunch in advance, it will just reduce the number of payments until the principle is paid off. It will reduce the amount of interest significantly however.

Its kind of silly to pay interest just to build credit. I am unclear what you are asking about the $500. Also unclear what you mean by shorter payments. If you prepay $8000, the loan would end a lot sooner.