Can someone claim on my partners car insurance, with no proof? ?

Our neighbour absolutely hates us and the idea of us! Anyway she has just come up to me and said she has been told by 2 people he hit her cat while parked up. He has insisted he didn't, there isn't any marks on his car etc. It is giving me terrible anxiety and am just curious to if she can claim through his insurance? He is living with me temporarily with covid.

Update:

Car**** not cat sorry 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Anyone can claim anything.  Your neighbor needs to file a Police Report and you need to turn the matter over to your insurance company. (For one horrible moment i thought your partner ran over a cat!)

• May
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

US?  HE?  SHE?.............?

Sure "She" can claim against "He's" insurance.  Since you are shacked up She can also claim against you.  To Claim is one thing.  To win the claim is quite another

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Nope. There has to be damage. She got none so hate is not going to cut it.  There would be similar damage on his car.

. She has to go to her own insurance and they look at her car. They see nothing, they do nothing.

• 2 months ago

No.  Only a named insured can file a claim.  Your partner should notify the insurance company of a possible scam.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

(1) Nobody can make a claim on someone else's insurance if they don't know who their insurance company is. All they can do is file the police report and then the police will have to come investigate.

(2) A threat of saying they have two witness does not constitute proof. Only a judge can decide that if the witnesses give sworn statements.

(3) Did the neighbor show you damage to their vehicle? If they did, was your mind too scattered to think of taking a picture of the damage?

(4) Stop being a blithering idiot and get a grip.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

With insurance, she needs proof. Get photos of both cars just in case she backs into a post or something. Make sure to do it so the photos have a date for them.

• 2 months ago

Actually the cat would be just as bad, but thanks for clarifying.  Anyway...

No.  Nobody can claim anything through insurance without proof, no exceptions.  The burden of proof always lies with the claimant, and the proof will be examined as part of the investigation.  Insurance companies know the law better than most people (it's what they do for a living), and they don't pay anything to anyone without completing a full investigation.  She can't even claim through her own insurance without proof, and saying "it must have been him" isn't proof of anything.  Even circumstantial evidence doesn't prove anything.

Even if your neighbour contacts the MIB to get your insurance details (not sure if that's allowed in UK, it's strictly forbidden where I live), they still can't claim compensation unless they can prove how the damage happened.  And they can't so don't worry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.