Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

Is it a smart decision getting a 2014 tesla model s for my first car? Wondering because I could get one for a decent price, and saves on gas?

Favorite Answer

I don't see why not. I have heard that the electric cars have some very faithful owners.

When I car-shopped in Sept:, I  specifically Avoided Any exotics and Euros. No CVTs, no Hybrids, No Electrics. no Diesels, no Turbos.  A 4 door or 5 door HB or wagon;  no sports cars  or coupes   US or Nip; not ever Koh-Rean.   Settled on a '15 Mazda; 6 speeds, 4 banger DOHC with a Chain. 46 MPG on freeway, on Regular gas. Hard to beat that.

It's Yore decision pard, but I need reliability and not a hard time getting service.  I don't think there is a Tesla dealer in my whole city. I had a new '91 323,  Never gave trouble.

EDIT: I'm 63, even insurance  on a '17 Corvette is affordable to me. Not a concern. U might be 65 for all I know.

I suggest you run the VIN through safercar.gov!

https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers

Telsa is known for quality problems and a high price. So my feeling is no it is not a good investment. If you want to save money then shop for a small car that is reliable and has low insurance rates. Used is smart and the best buys are in cars two to three years old.

For what it is worth Subaru is almost always a good risk. 

If you have the time check out Consumers Reports in the local library. They publish a list of cars that are very high risk (for repairs) and very low risk. Cars to prefer and cars to avoid.

1. Matter of opinion

2. Cool story

• Anton

Checking in Craigslist L.A., Tesla anything start at about $30K.

A Tesla is NOT for saving money -- it is for looking "Green."

If you want to save on gas, get a new Mitsubishi Mirage for $15K.

Gasoline will be far cheaper than maintenance for a Tesla.

Saving on gas is good, but you may want to check into the costs to insure a Tesla, as well as the cost to lift the hood. I could drive almost any car, but I drive a Honda because repair costs are nowhere near pricier cars like BMWs.

Its a 30k car lmao what are you on? Where is it 70k

Yeah get a 70,000 dollar car to save 5,000 on gas over 200,000 miles. Makes perfect sense. You're not too bright. Good luck with your used corolla or camry

Source(s): The model 3 starts at 35k The model S starts at 70k. Do your research

How could you get one for a decent price? And it would be penny wise and pound foolish. You'd lose far more in depreciation than you would save on gas.

Absurd idea. You probably can't afford the insurance much less the car.