Why do nearly all my dreams involve solving a problem or searching for some missing item or person?

All of them involve some problem for me alone, or for some group I belong with. 

I real life I am missing my paternal half-sister.

Favorite Answer

I believe you have answered your own question.  Obviously your paternal half-sister in missing in some way from your Life.  You don't give the details, but she could be in another part of the country, or she could have passed on, or there is some other reason you are not in contact with her.  This causes you anxiety, and then the dreams take over your concern, or worry.  It is normal reaction. This is also why you dream of solving puzzles, problems or missing persons.  I hope you find her soon. 

You are independent minded and like to solve problems on your own most of the time; however, you are not afraid to work in groups to achieve your goals.  

What does it mean to dream about a missing person? Dreaming that someone is missing can be less about them and more about you. ... Consider the person who was missing- it's possible you feel there is something absent between you and them in your waking life.In dreams, while our conscious mind is inactive, our subconscious mind is actively working on problems that we may have failed to solve consciously in our waking life. That's why it's highly likely that a solution to a problem that you've been working on for quite a while can pop up in your dream