Anonymous

What Do I Do?

I just got a job that I would really like. I accepted the position already. However, I think I am making excuses for myself because my family wants me to travel abroad to visit family in Europe. Now, I am questioning if I should email my hiring manager and say "I can't take the job anymore." That may be my anxiety making up excuses for me. Either way, I want the job but I also want to go to Europe.

If I take the job, I would have to go the Europe shortly after. I know that that does not look good to the company. That is why I was questioning whether or not I should quit the job before I even start. I am so conflicted right now and I genuinely do not know what to do. Maybe after orientation, I can say to my job "I have a family emergency in Europe, am I able to do this job remotely while I stay there?" Could that work? With corona, I think they are able to let me do that considering they have been doing work remotely now. But I also do not know how the remote work is going to be like since I haven't started the job yet. What do I do?

• ?

It must be nice to have so much money that you can decide that you want to take a trip to Europe instead of working.

Sit on your thumbs...no one like a humble bragger.

• ?

I would tell your boss right now what your family plans are and ask him how he would prefer to handle the scheduling.  If he says, "Sorry I can't use you if you're going to be taking time off so soon", then that may help you make up your mind about whether you want the job or not.  Or he may delay your start date.  Or he may simply schedule around your family vacation plans.

If you are living at home and your parents do not want to leave you at home unsupervised, then you best tell your almost employer that you can not take the job right now.  (Do not lie about a family emergency).  

If they are willing to leave you at home, then by all means take the job and forget Europe (for now).

Do not think about trying to do your job remotely from Europe.  There is little chance that they would let you, and a very big chance that you would mess up the job and the trip.

If you want this job, you will probably have to cancel the Europe travel plans.

Companies do not hire you unless they need a person there doing the job on the date they want you to start.

Chances are that because you are new, they will to want you to work remotely, but you can ask.

So, be truthful...ASK if you can start remotely and be prepared to be nice if they tell you that because of your prior commitments, they have decided to withdraw their job offer.

Jobs are for grown ups. Not people who want to jet set across the world instead.