M asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Elevated liver enzymes but normal ultrasound?

My liver enzymes have been elevated for over a year.  AST ranges 50-70, and ALT usually 10 points higher than AST.   No symptoms, and I am otherwise a healthy male age 39.  No medications or OTC supplements.

Doctor suspects this is due to alcohol.  My drinking has been moderate in the past 6 years, but was > 15 beers per week for about 8 years before 2014.  I reduced alcohol intake drastically (I've averaged 1 drink per week for the past 15 months), but the Doctor sent me for an ultrasound last week, and it came back perfectly normal.  No fatty liver or any other abnormalities.Does this mean that I definitely did not have a problem with my liver at the time of the ultrasound?  Is it possible to have early fibrosis with a normal ultrasound?  What else could cause an enzyme elevation but not produce abnormalities on ultrasound?

Your levels are not raised enough to be classed as mildly elevated and your ultrasound was normal so as long as your results stay pretty much the same or improve don't worry about it. My AST and ALT are always slightly raised and my doctor didn't even bother telling me.

''Normal levels of AST and ALT may slightly vary depending on the individual laboratory's reference values. Typically the range for normal AST is reported between 10 to 40 units per liter and ALT between 7 to 56 units per liter. Mild elevations are generally considered to be 2-3 times higher than the normal range. '' https://www.emedicinehealth.com/liver_blood_tests/...