Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Why do/did some singers (such as Keith Urban and Freddie Mercury) hide their accents in their songs?

In singing, one tends to stretch out the syllables of many words, which can often make one's accent when speaking be flattened, even nullified.  

Listen closely to earlier tracks recorded by The Beatles: You'll find that all of them mellowed or lost much of their accent - both in speaking, but also in singing - across the years.  Listen to "'Til There Was You", recorded in 1963.  McCartney plainly sings "... but I never SAR (not "saw") them winging...".  However, on the song "I Saw Her Standing There", recorded in the same year, that accent isn't obvious, as the word "saw" is more drawn out.

I don't believe it's done purposely. Just as people who stutter, don't stutter when then sing.

• Because they are wanna be southern rockers I assume. With a southern accent that is ;-) .

• snafu

They don’t do that consciously.  It’s just the way they sing.  They’re not just saying words but using their vocal apparatus in a totally different way.

The same reason that Pink Floyd used the word kids instead of lads in their song. Because their intended audience is American, not British. The same reason that Mick Jagger, Van Morrison, Eric Burton, Dale Krantz and Peter Wolf often sing with a black accent. They try to sing a certain style that they like to imitate. OTOH, some black singers, such as Tracy Chapman, do not sing with a black accent at all. 

Freddie Mercury didn't, for example, he sings, "She's a killaaaaaah... queen," not. "She's a killerrrrrrr... queen." I can't speak for Keith Urban. I've never heard him sing. If he does change his Australian accent, then it's probably to an American southern twang because he sings country music, which is an American genre, perhaps comparable to how Billie Joe Armstrong is American and sings punk, a British genre, in a British accent.