A asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

Can some pls help me: What screw extractor would I use for this screw?

Im replace my dryer idler pulley but the screw won’t come out, I have try so many screw extractor but tbh idek which I’m supposed to even be using. 

Any tips would be nice, thank you

(The screw that stuck is the same as this one as well)

Attachment image

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Buy a hand held impact tool.  Put bit for screw in it. Hit with hammer till it breaks free. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Get a flat blade screwdriver that goes across from one slot to the other. So a fair size screwdriver.  If it come on a square shaft all that much better for you to stick a wrench on it and then twist the screwdriver.  If the screwdriver breaks then you know that screw is welded in position and never meant to come out.  So much for your $20 screwdriver as it is now broken.  Live and learn  Have a mirror you can hold inside to see why it don't turn.  I don't have it on my dryer. SOME ARE LUCKY, SOME ARE NOT...You could always call an appliance repair guy and tell him on the phone the make and model of the machine and he would know if the screw comes out.  As he would have the part.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Get a new #3 Phillips head screwdriver.  While applying loosening torque (counter clockwise), whack the screwdriver handle with a hammer.  Not crazy hard, but solid raps.  Hard enough to drive in finishing nails on a surface you don't want to damage, not like you were driving big framing nails in rough carpentry.  The shock should jar the screw loose.  Keep rapping and turning until it starts to move.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Phillips head 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Any possibility it's a left hand thread?

• 2 months ago

thats a good size screw head ..the pulleys are normally an alloy ..you get corrosion build up ...locking screw in position ..so..get right size screwdriver for screw ..insert ..give the handle a sharp blow with hammer ..this breaks the corrosion grip ..i tend to try turning screwdriver as i tap it 

• GF
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

That's a #3 so use a philips #3 tip. If it won't budge use an impact driver and press really hard onto the screw so you don't strip it. You could also use the hammer type impact tool (mostly used in auto repair) where you hit the tool with a hammer and it pushed in and rotates the tip. These work very well for frozen screws.

• 2 months ago

If the screw head is still OK, try an impact screwdriver, as sold by motorcycle shops.

That's the style that just looks like a fat metal screwdriver handle; they have a spiral cam mechanism inside.

Turn the handle as if you are trying to undo the screw; they turn partway each direction against a spring then snap the rest of the way in whichever way you are trying to turn.

Hold it with tension, trying to undo the screw - then hit the end of the tool sharply with a hammer. The screwdriver bit is forced to turn by the impact and they can remove screws that will not undo with normal tools. keep hitting it until something gives..

If the head is gone the next best option is to drill the centre so the head breaks off.

You can then quite often remove the remains of the screw after dismantling whatever it is in, as they do not bind the same once the tension is off the threads.

I've never had much luck with "screw extractors"; they often seem to expand the bolt in the thread and make it tighter. If you grip the stub with pliers after the head comes off, try very carefully drilling down the exact centre of the screw, then increasing the hole size a bit at a time until the screw starts to come loose or just collapses on itself.

• James
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Looks like a number 3 or 4 Phillips 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Spray the screw with a rust-penetrating product (Liquid Wrench is one) and let it stand for at least fifteen minutes. Put a piece of scrap wood over the screw and hit it through the wood with a hammer a couple of times. (The wood keeps you from crushing the screw head with your mighty hammering.) Then apply your right-sized Phillips head screwdriver. Usually the screw is loose enough.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.