Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

How were Asians in America treated during the 20th century?

Did they face segregation like black people? I didn’t learn this in school so I want to know more 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

There were no laws requiring segregation although many Asians preferred to live among themselves which is why you still have areas that are primarily Asian.

• 2 months ago

I know that on the West Coast, where most Asians settled in the US, there was some segregation before and during WWII.  There were no laws made to enforce it like in the US "South."  But certain neighborhoods would not allow Asians to move in.  Then when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, the government and people got scared that Japanese on the West Coast would help Japan, and so required them to move away from the coast.  Most of them went into internment camps.  They could go to other parts of the country, in theory, but travel and communication with other regions wasn't as easy as it is now.  A lot of military-age Japanese-Americans joined the US military at this time.  

The internment of the Japanese-Americans during WWII is now considered a shocking breach of human rights in the US.  I expect people in the future will have similar feelings about some of our Pandemic Lockdown restrictions the same way.  You may think they are necessary; but during WWII, people were scared and thought the internment camps were necessary too.  People are likely to accept tyrannical measures when they are scared.  It's hard to keep perspective.  

After WWII, a lot of people immigrated from Japan to the US; I remember going to school with their children.  Now they have largely assimilated into the population, often marrying Whites or others.  One of the immigrants was the famous Dr. Thomas Noguchi, chief medical officer in Los Angeles, "coroner to the stars" because of course he was always called when a movie star died.  

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That's a complicated question. There were, as ajtheactress has told you, specific laws barring immigration from China, for the same reasons people now fear immigration from Mexico. A book I read as a teen was set in the 1920s and 1930s, and had as a villain a Japanese exchange student who was viewed as part of what they called the "yellow peril". Now these fears were mostly on the West Coast, since that's where the largest population of Asian immigrants landed. EVERY immigrant group has experienced a backlash, including Europeans. In New York and Boston, after the influx of immigrants because of the Irish potato famine, jobs and apartments were often listed as "No Irish need apply". After WWII, Italians were discriminated against. But the most specific example was the internment of those of Japanese heritage in WWII- their homes were seized and they were marched off to what were essentially concentration camps. There have been some recent books by people who were children then, writing about their memories. 

• 2 months ago

Jeannie is incorrect.   Chinese people were not "considered white" and there were frequent anti Chinese riots in the 1800's.  In many states miscegenation laws forbid Asians as well as blacks from marrying white partners.   

They were segregated in Asian enclaves and many were only allowed to purchase property in "selected areas".   There were "Chinatowns" in most major cities.  Some cities still have a Chinatown, Little Siagon,  Korea Town and/or Japantown.   In San Francisco home to the the largest Chinatown in North American they were not allowed to buy property outside of Chinatown until 1948

The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 put strict limits on Chinese immigration to the US which was not rescinded until 1948.  Chinese could not become American Citizens or vote until 1943.

Up until 1882 Chinese people were forbidden to testify in court in many states.

On February 19, 1942, executive order 9066 required that all Japanese persons be removed from parts of the West vaguely identified as military areas.  They were sent to relocation camps inland. They often lost their homes and businesses and it wasn't until 1988 that reparations were paid to those who had been interned by the United States government during World War II.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No.... but remind you there were very little percentage of Asians in America also. But Asians were viewed differently. In the 1800’s Chinese people were considered white 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.