Is Jack Daniels Bourbon or Whiskey?

• ?

It's whiskey isn't it?

• ?

Technically it's both. By Federal law and for export purposes, Jack Daniel's is categorized as a bourbon but it's not a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey because it's not made in Kentucky and doesn't fully follow the manufacturing rules of Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. As a bourbon drinker, I don't consider it to be a bourbon because the only whiskey I drink is Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and also because Jack Daniel's is made in Tennessee.

Source(s): All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskeys are bourbon.
  • Whiskey.  Bourbon requires its mash to be made with corn; whiskey doesn't have this requirement.

• ?

Bourbon is a type of whiskey

Since Bourbon must be made in Kentucky  and JD is made in Tennessee is is normally called whiskey or Sour Mash (which is Bourbon not distilled in Kentucky)

• Adam D

Bourbon is a type of whiskey.  So all bourbons are whiskeys, but not all whiskeys are bourbons.

Jack Daniels is a Tennessee Whiskey.  To be labelled as such, it must meet certain criteria - produced in Tennessee, maple charcoal filtered prior to aging, and must meet all legal criteria for bourbon.  Part of this is a labeling issue, some laws require origin statements to be accurate.

Contrary to what several answers have said, there is nothing in the definition of bourbon that requires a Kentucky origin.  I've linked the criteria below.  There are bourbons being produced all over North America that are legally allowed to use the term on their label.

@Skeptik - I imagine the reason for the Kentucky Bourbon label is the same as the Tennessee Whiskey reason - accurate statement of origin on labels being a legal requirement.  I miss the comment feature on this site, despite the level of abuse it facilitated.

Can fall under either category but usually it’s whiskey z

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• kswck2

Technically, only whiskey made in Kentucky can be called Bourbon. Jack Daniels is called Sour Mash, which is made in Tennessee

Yes it certainly is and I like it.

It's "Tennessee" Whiskey.

Rules for naming say Bourbon has to come from Kentucky.

-----

Re: @Adam D's response - That's correct, I misspoke.  In fact, the most recent Bourbon I've had is actually produced in Utah.

There was a push several years ago to make "geographic origin" to be part of the definition, but it failed.  The compromise was to identify the use of the term "Kentucky Bourbon" - which does have that requirement.